Wednesday, October 2, 2019

New Beginnings

~ Ryan McHale, Head Curator

Hi Everyone,

My time here in the desert has come to a close, and I'm beginning my next adventure. I'm moving to Ketchikan, Alaska to be the Curator of Exhibits at the Tongass Historical Museum and the Totem Heritage Center! It is a bittersweet goodbye. 


I began last September as a Curatorial Fellow right out of graduate school, still wet behind the ears and ready for a challenge. As the Curatorial Fellow I was given the freedom to find what interests me and pursue it. 

I couldn't have asked for a better opportunity to gain the practical experience I needed. IVDM understands that learning by doing teaches you something you can’t gain from a textbook. 


As Head Curator I was challenged with wearing many hats. In this role, I learned the importance of adaptability and the need for cooperation and collaboration between staff members and departments. 


IVDM has taught me that after housing and caring for collections and historical artifacts, museums should be cultural and community centers. They should be places where people can come together and socialize, explore ideas and cultures, and build stronger connections with each other and their local community. 


After my time at the IVDM, I want to focus my career on traditionally marginalized histories and bring underrepresented voices to the forefront of the museum experience. I hope to create informative and culturally relevant exhibits that inspire and connect us to our shared history.

This past year has been an invaluable experience and has prepared me for my next step. I am grateful for my time here at the Museum and for the friends I have made both on staff and within the community. Thank you IVDM for the opportunity to grow, and thank you Imperial Valley for welcoming me with open arms! I look forward to the new horizons that lie ahead and will always remember where I have been. 

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end." - Seneca 

No comments:

Post a Comment