Friday, February 8, 2013

Piloting School Visits

In February we will have 120 students from McCabe Elementary School visit the museum. The 4th grade is visiting class by class on Wednesdays. This is our first time doing large group visits to the museum.

After a talk on how the Imperial Valley was once a lake and an ocean, there are 4 activities that the groups cycle through over the day:




- A Desert Walk
- Hands-on Geology 
- Discussion on Projectile Points
- Ceramic Art Program


Since we are piloting, we requested feedback from the parents and teachers. One said "I honestly thought it would be boring.. but I could not have been any more wrong. I had a lot of fun and it was very interesting and it motivated me to know more about our outdoors. All the rocks and arrows were amazing, really enjoyed the clay project. As a parent coming it opened up a new subject for me to talk about with my kids. It is amazing there is so much to see here in the valley just by driving a few miles."

No comments:

Post a Comment